Monday 26 November 2012

Week 4: News and You



How often do you read the paper or watch the news on TV? How important is it for you to keep up with current events?


I don’t often get to read the newspaper or follow the news on TV. The main reason would be the unavailability of these two media at the university campus where I stay at 5 days a week. And when I am at home for the weekends, at the most I would probably browse through the papers until an interesting headline catches my eye. When my younger sister was smaller, the TV was always set to play the news during dinnertime, and I would let the voice of the newscaster wash over me as I eat (our TV is set close by to the dining table). However, at her current age of 10, she has the say over what is shown on TV as we eat (and most of the time it would be set to cartoons—marathon runs of Spongebob anyone?)

The other reason is that for most of the time, I am not really interested in keeping up-to-date with news, especially since most of what I’ve seen involve politics, mindless entertainment, war, scandals, politics, and more politics. The “debate” (though it honestly strikes to me as kids’ tug-of-war) in politics irks me terribly as I am not the type to be very politically moved. If it does not affect me directly, I am more of the type to roll with the punches rather than debate my views on an issue. The US Presidential Election? My reaction most of the time would be just to shrug nonchalantly.

I understand that the outcome of politics may very well change my lifestyle. However, I refuse to sit and give hours of my week to pay attention to various sides arguing about who is right and who is blackmailing and slandering the society. I am not interested in the fluff in between, what I am interested in is the conclusion. Barack Obama won the election? That’s good to know, but no, I don’t need the details of the catfight, thanks. As long as he doesn’t aim a bomb to my country, I’m neutral with anything really.

The only type of news that I try to be updated on when possible are pieces about health, murder, robberies or any other violent acts. Facts published on the news about these issues very rarely have a reason to be fabricated or written biasedly. I find it (in a morbid sort of way) interesting to read an article explaining the murder of a shopkeeper, for example. I would want to know the details, such as when or why it took place, and what was the murderer thinking as he took a life (as opposed to listening to sugared twisted words of politicians. Not to say that all of them do so, but with so many opposing "facts" of who said what, I'd rather just not listen at all).

Nowadays my news source tend to be whatever online articles I come across. I find myself often going to Yahoo! to browse through the newsfeed roll they have, though most of them are still either mindless entertainment/scandals (oh my god, they divorced! Yeah, I really don’t care) and politicians. My friends are a good source of news as well, as they are able to filter out unnecessary drama relating to a particular issue and just tell me the important parts.


No comments:

Post a Comment